Friday, November 21, 2008

Time Flies


I remember as a kid when I’d read required books in English classes, they would seem so daunting. Only books that I truly enjoyed went by quickly. Both Mountains Beyond Mountains and Brother, I’m Dying did that for me. Both invoked emotions, but different kinds. I already wrote about Mountains Beyond Mountains, so I’ll write something about Brother, I’m Dying. One thing I don’t generally like reading is sob stories. The book seemed that way in the beginning. To me, they all sob stories sound the same. This was true for the first half of the book. Her father was dying and the author didn’t really like him that much because he wasn’t around. The most interesting parts for me, was the switch to the past and the switch to the Uncle’s point of view. In the past, I felt more attached to the characters, and I enjoyed reading about their silly lifestyle before everything had settled. I remember finding it very amusing when he bought a boat because he figured they could start catching fish. The best part of the book was the uncle section. Where it switched over to his point of view in Haiti. I could imagine it in my head: the church, the UN troops, the gang members, basically everything. I was excited to read on to see what would happen next. And finally when they were so close to escaping, they both got sent to Krome. After that, I kind of just wanted to skip to the ending to get the book over with.