Sunday, November 30, 2008
Oops...
I seem to have run out readings to talk about at this point. So, instead, I will write about my most favorite reading of the quarter. Looking back, there are a lot of contenders. The worst ones were the long ones (with the exception of the books and "Santa Land") and the best ones were the short ones such as: "Babycakes" and the piece on torture. The general theme of the pieces that I liked the most were the ones told as a story. Sure, Swift's "A Modest Proposal" is a historical article, but there is something about the narrator chaining his son to a radiator just because he would not say where he was going after choir practice, that just puts a smile on my face. I did not really like the argumentative essays because they tended to be long and scientific.
The point of argumentative essays are not made to be incredibly entertaining, but to get a point accross. An argumentative essay and narratives are like a documentary and movie. However, I think the mixture of the two makes for a great piece. An example of both is Kidder's book. Here, Kidder was reporting on Dr. Farmer, but at the same time he was telling a story of his and Dr. Farmer's story. So, I would say my most favorite piece of the class was Kidder's Mountians Beyond Mountains.